Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Atland #247 - Bruce

About six months ago, when the pieces of the Season 1 finale really started to take shape in my head, I started sketching General Bron. And when I sat back and looked at the artwork, I got worried. The story ideas were pushing me down a dark path...

Looking down at the sketches of this big monkey man, I knew he was dangerous. The only one tough enough to take one of our beloved main characters away from us.

I told my wife and my close friends that Bruce probably wouldn't make it through the face-off with Bron. Everyone seemed to go kind of wide-eyed for a second and then ask me if I knew what I was doing. I did -- and I do.

It's not about me. It's about the story. A good story needs humor, and drama..and tragedy. And THIS story has to happen this way.

When I sat down a few weeks ago to draw this splash page, it really hit me. My wife came home, walked into the office to tell me about her day -- and stopped short when she looked over my shoulder at the art. She got a little misty eyed and left the room.

As bad as some of you feel about this, keep in mind that I feel worse. I created Bruce. I spent 4 years writing and drawing him. This is how it's all supposed to play out, like it or not.

And next week, we'll witness the last few moments of the bravest minotaur in all the realm.