Friday, October 3, 2008

Daily Pewfelling

I drew many of the next few strips when Pewfell first ran as daily strip on the web way way back in the halcyon days of webcomics (2002). This one is kind of simple and not all that well drawn, but I still like it in a goofy kind of way.





Ah Bish, ya gotta love him, always up to some crackpot activity or another. He's my favorite character to write, as he pretty much always seems to just write himself. He's also based on a friend of mine from the same village in England, Ol West, who later went on to become brand manager for Budweiser in the UK. Again, it's more just the look of him, rather than anything to do with his personality, although Ol does have something of Bish's noble spirit about him. At the end of the day, I have found that all the characters in my comic, though frequently based on other people at the outset, end up really just being different aspects of my own personality. Make of that what you will...

By the way, bonus points if you spotted that the fourth panel of this strip is after Rogier van der Weyden's "St. George and the Dragon" c. 1432 in The National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, USA. I always though those dragons in the classical St. George paintings were rather too puny, and flet that they must have larger relatives lurking around somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I remember looking at the "St. Bish and the Dragon" slide in Art History 101. Ah, it takes me back.

    ReplyDelete