Saturday, January 17, 2009

Zyn Dweomer Page Twelve



Still early in the comic, I’m feeling my way toward some kind of sense of pacing and what-not. At first I thought it might be a very rapid-fire strip where each page constituted an entire scene, but as I get into it I default to my natural way of doing things. I tend to favor action-to-action sequences during action scenes with some smallish splashes to punctuate.

The setting is really taking form in my mind and on paper (well, on digital file anyway). The original concept was to make it as generic as possible, just a straight riff on the classic D&D fantasy motif. And I’ve kept to that, mostly. But the whole thing is starting to take on it’s own character – which of course is both inevitable and desirable.

One of the things I’ve struggled with a little bit is to what degree I want to do “exposition”. My fellow Wizards can attest to the fact that several versions of the strip passed before their eyes prior to the published version. Some of those versions had quite a bit more in the way of pure exposition, just setting up the theme of the comic. In the end I opted for a somewhat more natural pace that will reveal the setting and RPG-inspired motifs a bit more slowly and as needed.

Oh, and it’s a whole lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment