Sunday, June 14, 2009

More Elf Chick Goodness




Still experimenting with this technique. The idea is to eliminate as many lines as possible. This is a real departure for me since 99% of my work is really focused on the character of the lines and brush strokes.

Take Zyn Dweomer for example. I use a 30 pt round brush for inking on a 400dpi 8.5 x 3.25 canvas. A 30 pt brush means I get a lot of line width variation - which is exactly what I like. In my older art I used PITT brush pens and drew on small paper sizes so I was getting a very similar effect.

But here I'm trying to concentrate of reduction of forms, simplicity, design, and color. I'm drawing these pretty big, usually with a hard pencil tool at 10 pt or less with as little line variation as possible (since the lines will disappear). I'm doing this mainly to explore a new comic idea, but also to test myself. To challenge myself.