Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Librarian: Page 1

This is page one of a 12 page strip I drew from a script by the mighty Shaenon Garrity, she of Narbonic fame. I have it up on my portfolio site & at deviantArt, but it hasn't seen the light of day all that much so I figured I'd post it here too.

I had mentioned to Shaenon at a party at the Cartoon Art Museum during Wondercon 2007 that I was thinking of experimenting with something other than Pewfell & possibly working with other writers. The very next week she sent me the script for this. I loved the story, the fact that it was a bit more female-focused than much of what I have done before and that it was nearly wordless. I spend a long time on the character & setting design and really planned the whole thing out a lot more than I usually do. I also really wanted to push the coloring and layout further than I have before, and the script offered some great opportunities for this.

5 comments:

  1. Dig the coloring and the lizard camel's toe cleavage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a giant phallus! I see now that it was written from a female perspective :) very nice storytelling on the layout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Err.... I guess I hadn't thought of it that way but OK... The script did say a tower, but perhaps I should have done it as twin domes??! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha!

    Impossible to avoid those phallic symbols. My wife says all my backgrounds are incredibly phallic.

    The colors here are great. You guys are fantastic with digital color.

    ReplyDelete