Friday, April 11, 2008

The Keep

I decided to take a little break from the ELF `n TROLL business and play around in photoshop. I love digital painting based on the few that I've actually done. I loved it so much that I came close to abandoning comics to focus more on the art form but, I love telling sequential stories too much to abandon it. Anyway, I decided to take a break and play. This isn't totally digital but, it was fun.


  1. Background is awesome -- but it's REALLY hard to make them look like they're supposed to mesh with an inked foreground.


  2. I couldn't agree more. If I didn't have the attention span of a 2 year old, the whole pic would've been painted. LOL

  3. I know what Nate's on about, but I was thinking you actually did a pretty good job on keeping it integrated here. Still it's good to have some genuine criticism going on -- now every time I pick up a pen I've got a little horned Nate on one shoulder telling me to make it better. Fortunately there's still a little Furtado with wings and a halo on the other telling me it's just fine the way it is, man! :)

  4. LMAO
    That's the first time anyone has ever mentioned me and halo in the same sentence!

  5. Oddly enough, many people have equated me to the devil.

  6. I see Nate's point. The crisp inked foreground doesn't necessarily mesh with the edgeless background. It's a problem you see a lot in webcomics where an artist is using traditional tools and techniques but applying funky Photoshop FX over it. It doesn't always work.


    Being an underground subversive myself, I love this particular piece. It reminds me of the weird sky from the loc-nar sequence of Heavy Metal.

    Art doesn't always have to be seamless and pleasing. This juxtaposition of foreground and background gives it a sort of raw feel that I can dig.

    If I was going to tweak it, I might try softening the lines by changing some of them to colors instead of black. But I don't know, I'd have to play with it and see.